Saturday 9 June 2012

Rodney Bay, St. Lucia









Off to the shops

So three girls alone on Jangles without Mr. Captain. . .the fun begins! Click on the link below to see a video of our sail from Antigua to St. lucia:



On Tuesday morning I decided to head for a run to Pigeon point national park, as there was a geocache there. I ran to the entrance to find that they only open at 9am, and as my runs start just after 6 to avoid the heat, I was very early. So I decided to run back and come another day at a time it was open. The rest of the morning consisted of schoolwork as they are doing so whilst we are on the dock for two weeks. We went shopping in the afternoon for some groceries and ended up with some new clothes too . . .what can I say, this is what happens when three women are left by themselves. I also went to get my eyebrows waxed, which I now know was a mistake. Cause later on I couldn’t figure out why my eyebrows were still so sore, until I looked in the mirror and discovered that the lady had taken a small strip of skin off on either one of my eyebrows! I won’t be going again any time soon . . . .We also found a shop that sells DVD’s! We left with a few new ones to watch on the boat. The evening consisted of a delicious homemade Caesar salad and one of the movies we bought.
            
 
Ready for the shop!
 On Wednesday, the day was filled with schoolwork once again. We also met an American family who were sailing with four children under the age of 12! They were a lovely family and we shared stories for a while. That evening, at around five, I decided to try out my new running top that I had bought the previous day. I took the kayak and paddled out of the channel around the corner to the beach, where I left the kayak. I then started my beach run and as I was running there were two guys running the opposite direction, and one of them started running backwards beside me as they passed. He then turned around and began running next to me . . .I gained a new running partner named Hervan for the evening. We ran the beach twice and then I paddled back to the boat for dinner and bed.

What a Great God we serve
On Thursday, I took the day off schoolwork as I had just completed six pace tests. I spent the day cleaning and touching my record stash on the boat. I was reminiscing about the times when I would lay on cushions on the floor of my candle lit room with a cup of tea in my hand just listening to the sweet sound of my records spinning round and round. My records just have to sit quietly on the boat until one day, I will let them sing sweetly to me. They needed a field day though so I took them out to see some daylight. I played my Pink Floyd Cd, singing along as I cleaned my records. . .
My sweet records. . .
Our fish!
Friday was the night of Jump Up. We spent the morning doing schoolwork and I went grocery shopping with my mom. Around 8pm, it came time for us leave for the Jump Up. The Jump Up is a local street party that takes place every Friday night. They have food stalls and stalls selling local arts and crafts and of course, loud Caribbean music blaring for everybody to dance in the street. As we got there, a local guy came up to my sister and I and made us a fish out of a bamboo leaf. We thanked him kindly as we walked off with our new pets. Rebecca found a stall that made hair braids, so she sat down whilst a lady made a braid onto a small plait she had made. We then decided it was time for some food. We went to a food stall, told them what we wanted and then found a small table to sit down at with our food. Rebecca and I then ventured down the street to see what the dance scene looked liked. There was one girl dancing all by herself whilst everyone else was standing around watching her. After twenty minutes of just her dancing, she pulled Rebecca and I into the circle with her. We started dancing whilst everyone stared on. Eventually, all of the tourists started to loosen up as they saw us dancing and joined us in the circle. The circle soon lost its shape as everybody, locals and tourists, started dancing together to the music of the Caribbean. Rebecca and I danced for a little while with two small local St. Lucian girls. They were shy at first but eventually had both arms raised and were jumping up and down. Rebecca also yelled at some guy who tried to dance with me (they both yelled for about a minute and then broke into smiles and no hard feelings were done). Before we headed back to the boat, we went into the ice-cream shop only to have the tastiest scoop of peanut butter ice-cream I have ever had. We got back to the boat and headed to the showers before enjoying a soft pillow beneath our heads.
Bamboo leaf fish
Rebecca getting a braid






Saturday morning I went with my mom to get a few more groceries from the mall. We then went for lunch at the ocean bar. Our friend Fiona was working so I went to fetch my bottle of peanut butter from the boat as she always makes me a special peanut butter smoothie. Rebecca and I went for a personal training session in the afternoon and then went for a jog back to the boat. Everybody asks Rebecca if she is Jessica's sister. . .all the security guards know my name. . .Rebecca thinks i'm too friendly but hey, how can you make a friend without talking to a stranger first?

1 comment:

  1. John Gallacher9 June 2012 at 22:03

    Hey Jessica, Mr Captain is still keeping an eye on you especially from a distance. I think I will need to start running with you when I get back.
    Sounds like the girls are having fun. Rebecca you looking good girl, you need to boogie more often. Missing you guys but also enjoying time with Joshua and the Hartleys.

    Love from Dad. xxxx

    ReplyDelete