Friday 15 June 2012

Exploring St. Lucia

Sunday morning, Rebecca and I met with our trainer, Rodja, and went for a jog. We ran to the beach; stopping to do little exercises along the way such as pushups, jump ups etc. After our morning exercise, we spent the rest of the day tackling schoolwork . . .by the evening Rebecca and I could definitely feel the work out we had done that morning. Once I lay my head down on my pillow . . .I wasn’t going anywhere until the morning . . . .

Monday morning we met with Rodja again. . .this time, we did an ab workout. We couldn’t even laugh for the rest of the day as it hurt too much! But naturally when you try not to laugh. . .whatta ya do? You laugh. After our workout, we went across the road for Rebecca to get a blood test. She took a test to see what foods her body doesn’t agree with. We then went for chai lattes and wraps at the shopping mall for lunch

Tuesday morning was a very entertaining one. We met a dance instructor at Rodja’s gym and he tried to teach us how to dance hip-hop. Now, just imagine three girls with no rhythm and hardly any coordination . . .and I think you get the picture. It was more of an ab workout as we found ourselves laughing at each other the whole time. Something new to do everyday I suppose . . . .

Climbing to Fort Rodney
On Wednesday morning was training again . . .full body cardio workout, which luckily gave our abs a rest from our previous session. We went for breakfast after training and we had . . . doubles! We found a Trinidadian restaurant and had a breakfast double for old times sake. Couldn’t help but remember my old tradition . . .running with Robert in the morning followed by a double. After doubles it was time for a geocache. We went to Pigeon Point National park and paid our entrance fee. It was a beautiful park, with lots of old forts and buildings. We climbed to the lookout point (the highest spot) to look for the geocache. I climbed into the thick bushes following the little black arrow on my GPS. After a while of scratching and climbing through long grass, my mom casually walked to a big rock and pulled the box out from behind it. I laughed at myself on the inside as I looked at the bushes I had climbed over and under. I opened the box and found the object I was going to take . . .the coolest thing since sliced bread. It was a large round coin, a copy of an old Dutch Lion Dollar that was made in the 1600 and 1700s. I spent the rest of the day flipping my new found treasure over and over again . . .wondering about who could of put it in the box. . . .
                                             
Mom


                                             
Looking through the bushes

Lion Dollar
Diamond waterfall
Thursday, we went for another dance class.  . .this time, Caribbean style dancing. I’m sure our instructor must have been laughing at us on the inside as us three girls tried to move our hips and wine like the locals. For the afternoon, we hired a car and drove to the south of the island to the diamond waterfall and the botanical gardens. I held my breath as my mom zoomed around all of the little roads. After getting lost twice, we finally arrived at the entrance to the botanical gardens. They say the mineral baths here are supposed to make you look ten years younger. A local trying to sell us some jewelry asked my mom if she was going to go into the baths . . .he told her she needed it. Needless to say my mom didn’t buy any jewelry from him. We walked into the gardens just to be greeted by the calming sounds of nature . . .water running in the distance, birds chirping . . .it was serene. The gardens were beautiful and well looked after. We took a walk to the diamond waterfall . . .the sign said that we weren’t allowed to swim beneath the waterfall, but I climbed down to it and stuck my toes in anyway. It was a beautiful waterfall and it was disappointing that we weren’t allowed to go in it. We walked back to the mineral baths, which we were allowed to go it. We changed into our costumes and slipped into the warm water. We soaked up the minerals for a while and decided to leave once we started going wrinkly. We walked around the gardens for a while more before finally deciding to tackle the long drive back before it grew dark. Once we got the marina, we went to the Starfish restaurant where we had the most delicious dinner! I was so exhausted that I lay on my bed and by eight thirty my lights were out.
Mineral baths




                                   
The pitons
Friday was pouring with rain . . .a lovely break from the hot humid sun we’ve been having non-stop! Rebecca got her results back from the doctors today as to what foods her body reacted to . . .and two of the main ones were dairy and wheat. . .I laughed as I thought no more pizza. . . .

2 comments:

  1. John Gallacher15 June 2012 at 19:46

    Hey Jessica, great blog, you guys seem to have got into quite a routine.
    Looking forward to getting back on Tuesday. Love to you all, Dadxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone I am so enjoying your journey. I am about to embark on exercise too as the village is sponsoring us free!! I too will not be able to walk. Otherwise all is well in Syd and the family all trying to survive the cold winter weather. At least the sun is shining again after so much rain. Lots of love to all and miss you guys. Jill

    ReplyDelete