Friday 13 April 2012

Trinidad - Grenada


So when are we going to leave Trinidad you ask? Well I asked myself that question every day. . . and the answer always turns out to be tomorrow, but you know what they say. . .tomorrow never comes. There were many points where I was ready to attach a sheet to the dinghy and go dinghy sailing, only to be found in some random place days later!

We took Jangles out to Chacachacare for two nights just to get everyone accustomed to her once again. We arrived in Chacachacare late on Saturday evening and were unsure about where we should anchor. Luckily a really friendly Trini/French guy told us to anchor next to him. He hopped into his dinghy and took my dad to shore to tie a line onto a tree. . .a new experience for us all! We managed to get the boat all in order and headed for a good nights sleep.
The next morning we awoke to French toast and. . .Easter eggs!! What a breakfast!! Everybody has got to love those caramel filled chocolate bunnies! We spent the rest of the day being lazy . . .with a little tender exploring thrown in their somewhere. As my parents departed to the Trini/French man’s boat for an afternoon drink, I had my sister up and about for gym class!! I have never heard someone complain so much . . .I mean I have never seen anyone who can plank for 3 seconds and then fall over. We had a nice light dinner with some shocking dance moves thrown in there too . . .Rebecca and I eventually ending up falling over onto the floor! The next morning, Rebecca awoke thinking there was something wrong with her as her body hurt all over. . .she remembered our gym class and was convinced that I was trying to kill her.
We left Chacachacare on Monday and put the sails up for a test run. It was a very stressful afternoon as we tried to remember how to do everything once again! The sea was rather choppy and had Rebecca and my mom feeling a little bit under the weather. But we made it back into Coral Cove all in one piece . . .and I am satisfied to say that nobody fed the fishes! The only injury recorded was me being my clumsy self . . .and burning my finger on the oven as well as bashing my knee against the stairs. I truly should be wrapped in bubble wrap and maybe then bruises will stop appearing on me!

On Tuesday evening, Robert brought over some Lobster and prawns and we had a braai with Lee, Kerry and Ashton. . .and of course beer was also attending the party. The big sail came Wednesday. . .the sail to Grenada. I went running with Robert in the morning for our last doubles (local Trini dish), which I must say were rather delicious! Just before we were about to leave. . .we had a man overboard. . .whilst we were still attached to the dock. Everybody has a ‘chop’ moment at least once in his or her lifetime but my sister had a “CHOP” moment. She went to check that the bowline was ready to slip and leaned against the bow as she checked. Naturally the boat started moving away from her as she leant against it. On the plus side she did hold plank for more than three seconds before dropping like a pin between the boat and the dock. She was not the happiest of chappies.

We left Trinidad at 8:45pm after having dinner with Robert at the Wheelhouse.  We left Chaguaramas and arrived in St. George 13 and half hours later. Winds ranged between 10 and 24 knots, spiking up to 26 knots as we neared Grenada. Our speed averaged 6.7 knots reaching a maximum of 10.4 knots.  We began with full main sail up as well as full Genoa. By the end we were on our third reef of the main sail and half Genoa. On the approach to Grenada and 5 minutes after putting the rods in the water, excitement pulsed throughout the boat as the fishing reel ran. Only to be disappointed as the diving fish swam away with our pretty pink lure. We had a surprisingly good crossing, the ocean was a bit rough but we made good time. My mom commented that she felt as if she was in a washing machine. It was so good to sail again . . . I felt as if I were given wings as we powered across the ocean. I have been away from sailing for far too long . . . my spirit soared as I was reunited with my past love.
We arrived in St George’s Bay to be greeted by Yacht Catlyn floating beautifully upon the water. Rebecca made a noise that would probably be a mixture between a scream and a squeal as she jumped up and down, smiling like a happy child, as Marco was close once again. We anchored in the bay and then took the dingy to clear customs and immigration as well as to get a bite of lunch. On our way back to Jangles, we stopped by Catlyn to say hello to our friends. It is a very good feeling when one reunites with friends once again. Unfortunately we only got about 20 minutes with them as they were moving on to a new port of call. . .but 20 minutes was better than no time at all. Hopefully we will run into them upon the great big blue sometime soon.

We headed back to Jangles and everyone took a well deserved afternoon nap. . .with everyone but me extending into the evening. So as day passed into night, I took my music with me and went to lie on the trampoline beneath the starry night sky. There are a few moments in life . . .moments like these. . .where all your worries and concerns disappear into thin air. You get so lost within yourself that you lose track of the world around you. Just for a moment it feels as if that little piece of magic is within your grasp and you surround yourself in it, allowing it to uplift your soul and show you how truly magnificent life really is. Gravity loses itself as you float away into some distance space. As I lay beneath the starry sky, it almost seemed possible . . . n’ Piekniek Opie Maan.
Everyone aboard Jangles sends their hugs and kisses around the world to all of our friends and family. . .whether they get there by post, email, skype or by vhf radio, you are all in our hearts <3. Be safe and smile. xxx

3 comments:

  1. Michelle Koenig13 April 2012 at 07:17

    Hey there all ya sailors sounds like you are having the time of your life...Beam us up o please do...Hello lotto we keep a playing.
    Great to skype & hope you and mum enjoy your shore excursion and don't get trampled by the tourists off the cruise ship.
    Enjoy the next leg of your sail and we will chat then.
    Lots of luv Fuzz, Mich & the woefs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy oh boy Jess you are so brilliant as this whole blog! I can imagine where you are and what you are doing, may God's presence be with you all a you rise up and meet the oceans. Love you all xxxxxxx Michi xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prinsloo family from oz14 April 2012 at 02:45

    Hi there! Wow, Jessica, you are quite the writer!! It is like reading a real novel. Well done with the blog! We are so happy that Jangles is finally in the water and that you have completed a nice long sail. Well, we suppose sailing is not for sissies, and so far you guys are all doing well. We are looking forward to many blogs and photos. Happy sailing. God bless. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete